The Middle School Design Competition (MSDC) is a competitive design contest open to students in 6th-8th grade. Students must construct a design prior to EOH and bring it to compete against other teams of students. The contest will be held on Saturday, March 9th at 9:00 am – 2:00 pm in the Illini Union ABC Rooms. Registration is open now until February 15th, 2013. Entries are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Registration is available here.
Competition and Rules
Create a 4 Wheel Balloon Car using the following materials:
- Jet: Balloon, Flexible Straw, and Rubber Band or Tape
- Body (Select One): Water bottle, Toilet-paper tube, Juice box, Disposable cup (paper or plastic), Fast-food or deli “clamshell” container (where the top and bottom connect with a seam in the back), Ice cream container (pint or quart), Milk carton (individual size), Cardboard sheet, or Orange-juice can
- Axles (Select One): Straws, Barbeque Skewers, or Chopsticks
- Wheels (Select One): Bottle caps, Candy mints (with a hole in the middle), CDs, or Cardboard circles
- Connector for attaching wheels to an axle (Select One): Dry sponge, Foam, Clay, or Marshmallow (cut in half)
Use the materials listed above to create a 4 Wheel Balloon Car. The winning car should be able to travel 2 yards with the fastest time. In addition, following awards will also be given:
- Most creative design
- Viewers choice
- Demolition Derby (Whose car is the toughest? See whose car still runs after five head-on collisions)
The 4 Wheel Balloon Car cannot be made using any batteries. The balloon should be the only way to power the car.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can the vehicle leave the ground and still qualify?
The vehicle cannot leave the ground
Can a balloon be any shape or size?
The balloon can be ANY shape or size
Can more than one balloon be used?
Multiple balloons can be used
Can other glue be used?
Any type of glue can be used
Does the balloon have to be blown up or can it be used as an elastic?
The balloon can be blown up or used as an elastic
Can a toilet paper tube be utilized instead of toilet paper?
If you have any questions about the contests, please contact Michelle Lopez or Saachi Shah at (firstname.lastname@example.org).